Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Lofty goals

Okay, so I've got 3 major "goals" for 2009. I'm not calling them resolutions because they aren't. They are goals. Just to make that clear.

Number 1:
Design, sew and finish a quilt.
-I got a sweet quilt frame for Christmas
-I have been collecting fabric
-Geoffrey's grandmother is going to help me
-Main thing to do right now is find the right pattern/figure out how to create my own

Number 2: Participate in a triathlon.
-Geoffrey and I are officially starting our training this evening (Dec. 30).
-We have a training schedule that will allow us to participate in a sprint tri in May. (May 17)
-We are trying to figure out where we will do the swimming part of our training. Right now it's between the YMCA and Columbus Ave., but we may be able to swim at MCC. They are closed for the holidays right now, though.
-The Waco olympic tri is the weekend of July 25-26 and is officially called "Tri Waco." I get to design all of the promo materials for this tri...and maybe even the web site if I can swing it.

Number 3: Learn web design.
-I've decided against classes at MCC or TSTC. I think that I am going to use lynda.com and learn as I go.
-I may start with a simple portfolio site of my work.
-I need to purchase a domain name so that I can have a place to put my web design online.

The web intimidates me. So does quilting. So does a triathlon. But it sounds like 3 things that can help me focus on something and feel productive. And successful. The good thing about the tri is that Geoffrey and I can do this together. I'm excited about that. Web design will help me in my career and will probably help me snag a better job in the future. The quilt will be fun, I think.

I'll close with 3 photos I took yesterday around the suspension bridge. An amusing acronym for Waco. Notice the nasty water. That's where we'll be swimming for the Tri Waco tri...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great pictures jill!