Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Just to prove I am crazy

Interstate 35 causes me a lot of grief. If I'm driving, I'm usually nervous. If Geoffrey is driving, I'm usually really nervous. Add terrible billboard signage to this and I am nervous and angry. Add the ugly new Texas license plates to the mix and that's about all I can handle.

We drove up to Dallas for a Stars game this past weekend. It was fun...they lost...but it was fun. The drive: not-so-fun. I graded papers most of the way. This helps me miss all of the bad billboards. I think Geoffrey was grateful that I had my head down most of the way...for the billboards and for my backseat driving (that is really just making sure we don't get killed).

We got stuck in Hillsboro for about an hour on the way home, so I took this time to pull out my camera and snap a few shots to help cure my boredom. I want to share these with my little blog world. I plan on taking a few more shots over the next couple of weeks because I will be on 35 a lot with an Austin wedding and the Creative Summit. My only fear is that my blog will be so ugly that you won't want to look at it.


Words are too small...also don't need to say everything on a billboard. Keep it simple!

Don't like that typeface


Needs more contrast between letters and background


I'd show the location, not Randy Travis. And it's wayy too hard to get the important info when you drive by.


Is that a cartoon tool?


The cow looks kind of scared that it's going to be eaten...that's what they are going for, I think. I probably would have played this up a lot more. Still could have done so much more with this. I also don't think they need "Brisket Ribs Sausage & Fixins" Isn't that implied with BBQ?


Well, the cookie looks pretty tasty, but I probably would have used a cookie and something about how they are baked fresh. Or take off the cookie and show a sandwich. The main header is hard to read.


Actually, I like this one. And I love Chuy's.

On that note, here are some good ones.

So, I know I've complained about the license plate problem on here before. I have found the one I want. Here it is. There are lots of other choices, too. Way better than that new design.

1 comment:

JHP said...

Your billboard viewing sounds eerily similar to my commercial watching. (Well, maybe before DVR.)

I like the "Texas Vintage White" plate, but I doubt I'll spring for it this year. Maybe for my birthday. :)